Being guided by the all important cliche that “you don’t get what you don’t ask for”, here are some notes on what would make a perfect venue for MediaCampLA. That fact is, no venue is perfect, but there are a few things that make organizing and running the unconference day easier.
The Dianne G. Van Hook University Center at College of Canyons, where I co-chair CareerCampSCV (happening July 16), meets most of these criteria and works very well for an unconference event. You could certainly use that space as a guideline of what works well.
- Open WiFi ccess
- 1 large Lobby/Hangout room for sign-ins, opening session, lunch, closing session and ad hoc breakout sessions
- 4-6 rooms with
- white boards/chalkboards
- All rooms best if they are on the same floor
- Nice blank wall or white board to host schedule board for the day
- Large and easily accessible bathrooms
- Parking (free, hopefully)
- Access to Mass Transit (i.e. subway, bus, rail)
Thanks in advance to anyone who has a venue to offer or a suggestion of someone we should contact!